World of Tubers
So where can I get this ticket to the Youtube Fame?
Let’s face it. Everyone wants to bask in the sun of the Youtube World. (At least for a while). We tried to dig into the reasons why famous Youtubers are famous. We didn’t go through all the Tubers, we simply picked out the top three in leading countries such as Britain (Zoella, Tanya Burr and Louise Glitter) and the U.S. (Jenna Marbles, Macbarbie07 and Michelle Phan), which we later compared with the Latvian top Tubers (SindijaLo, Makeuparevelinu and Chanelegance).
Firstly, we noticed major differences in the age. Whereas in English-speaking countries Tubers are all adults (in their mid-twenties) and have some sort of education, in Latvia the girls tended to be younger and still in school, lacking a diploma. This only proved that age doesn’t have a huge impact in the success of a Youtuber. Secondly, it appeared to us that outside of Latvia Youtubers are being honored and looked up to. They are an inspiration to teenage girls all around the world. However, in Latvia the sad truth is that Youtubers are being watched to be made fun of. They try to be serious, but get no respect from the public. Only mocking comments.
Another shocking revelation was that all around the world, female Youtubers mainly discuss girly, worn-out topics such as fashion and make-up. Where is the originality? Where is the feminism? Surely women are capable of more than just eyeshadows?
So, now you’re all asking yourselves- what paved their path to glory?
- The main cause is the fact that they’re relatable. These girls address issues which are close to the viewer, for example, Jenna Marbles started off with simple, yet hilarious, make up videos. So did the Latvian Tuber Makeuparevelinu.
- None of them were famous at the start, which inspires all girls watching that you can achieve anything if you try hard enough. They all began filming with a small, crappy camera and their only followers were their friends, reveals SindijaLo in one of her interviews. And now they’re well known all around the world.
- They all use language which is simple to understand, unfiltered sentences which makes it feel like they are talking to us personally. Soon enough a bond of amity forms between the viewer and the artist.
- Even if they don’t talk about art or literature, we can still pick up new things. Like DIYs and (albeit unoriginal) make up tricks. Most importantly, they teach their viewers how to love themselves.
- Last but not least, they all have cute, angelic faces (must be all the makeup), which makes it appealing to watch their videos and attracts both male and female viewers.
Maddy & Sofie signing off xx